Friday, July 06, 2007

Freddie Signs For The Dee............


FREDDIE DAQUIN wants to show Dunfermline boss Stephen Kenny he was wrong to wreck his Hampden dream by helping Dundee pip the Pars to promotion next season. Daquin, who has joined the Dark Blues on a two-year deal, did not even make the bench when the Fifers faced Celtic in the Scottish Cup final at the national stadium in May. That was despite starting the final SPL match of the season at home to Falkirk just a week earlier. “It was so disappointing not to play in the final as it was such a big occasion,” said the Frenchman. “I had been in the team the week before against Falkirk, so I thought I had a chance. “The thing I didn’t like was the fact it was like do-or-die, with you having to impress. “The last six months were very frustrating because when the new manager came in at Dunfermline he didn’t play me. “Of course, that’s football and it is his choice but it can still be difficult. “Players like Jim O’Brien and Adam Hammill came in and did well and that made it much harder for me to get my place back in the team. “Also, I was injured during the January transfer window when they arrived, which didn’t help. “I always had a good relationship with the fans at Dunfermline and I think they liked me.
“But now I want Dundee to do well and win promotion next season. “I know my level and what I am capable of doing, so now I just want to get playing football regularly.
“Already, I am looking forward to facing Dunfermline on September 15, when it should be a very interesting day.” The 28-year-old met his new teammates at training yesterday and is convinced he has made the right move. “I was very impressed from the first time I spoke to the Dundee gaffer Alex Rae,” said Daquin. “They have been in the SPL before which is where we want to get back to after next season. “The manager seems to be very ambitious and that is what I like about him. “The first division will be very tough next season but I am looking forward to the challenge.” Rae was delighted to have finally snapped up Daquin as he seeks to further bolster his squad. “It has been a bit of a chase but I am just glad we have managed to get Freddie in the end. “He has good attributes such as pace and strength which we have been looking for. “I would still like to get in another four players to take the squad up to 20 and we are working constantly to try to reach that number.” Meanwhile, fans will be able to meet the new recruit at the club’s open day tomorrow, with various events taking place between 11am and 2pm.