Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chairman Stuart Murphy Steps Down...

Dundee chairman Stuart Murphy has decided to step down as chairman. He has done a lot of good work to keep the club going in difficult times. A statement was issued which read: ''The past 18 months or so have probably been the most intense of any stage throughout the 118-year history of Dundee Football Club.
''As the club fought courageously back from the brink of extinction, I have been resolute throughout in my determination to support that recovery process and help consolidate the financial health of the club.
''I am extremely proud of the part I played in that recovery, and equally proud to have served the supporters society both as a director, Dundee as a director, and latterly as chairman of the football club itself.
''Without stating the obvious, this was a very demanding and all consuming period for me which thankfully ended on a positive note as the club survived its second period of administration against all odds.
''I believe that the time is now right for me to invest these same levels of energy and commitment to all of the other aspects of my life, and in particular to my immediate family who have been incredibly supportive of my football commitments, but who now, for various reasons, deserve and are entitled to, equal levels of attention.
''As a consequence I informed the board of directors earlier this week of my intention to stand down from the football club board. I can do so with the comfort that there is now a sound platform on which the club can move forward confidently.
''The massive responsibility that exists in ensuring that the club continues its recuperation will rest upon the shoulders of Dundee fans from all walks of life, ordinary supporters and business people alike.
''For me, pulling together for the future will be crucial. For many, it will regularly necessitate making compromises and identifying innovative ways of working together in order to achieve success in an industry currently faced with ever demanding challenges.
''What I am confident of though, is that by adopting the right approach Dundee can not only survive, but prosper and actually become a trail blazer for the rest of Scottish football to follow as it faces these challenges head on.
''Togetherness will be key to achieving this, with no individual or group being more important than the sum of all the parts.''
He added: ''There are many positives to draw from as the club moves forward. Dundee has an ambitious and talented young manager, a squad that in my opinion is still more than capable of gaining promotion to the SPL, and a fervent and loyal fan-base the envy of most Scottish clubs.
''These amazing fans should be very proud of their achievements, especially in recent times when the very existence of the club was threatened.
''Even through those dark days I can honestly say it was, and will continue to be in the future for me, a source of pride and pleasure to be part of the Dundee FC family.
''On a final note I'd like to thank everyone who has supported me as I discharged my duties on behalf of the club.
''I wish the supporters society, Dundee FC, and Dundee fans everywhere every success for the future.''